Tau Capital Team
Tau Capital has a 23-year track record of working hand-in-hand with all stakeholders to build safe and technically sound projects, thereby creating value in both the short and the long-term.
Tau’s Dynamic Team
Experience Project Builders.
Tau’s dynamic team of experienced project builders bring capital, experience and support to both private and public companies in the mining and real estate sector. Our aim is to complete projects following social and environmental practices that are world-class.
Founder, Chairman & CEO, Tau Capital; Founder, Talon Metals Corp.; Founder, Kimpton Kawana Bay
- In 1997, founded Platexco Inc., a platinum exploration company sold for C$191mm to Impala in 2000
- In 2001, founded AfriOre Ltd., a platinum exploration company sold for C$496mm to Lonmin in 2007
- In 2005, founded CIC Energy Corp., a coal exploration company sold for C$116mm to Jindal in 2012
- Named by MiningMX as one of the 100 most influential people in southern Africa’s mining industry in 2008
Henri Van Rooyen
Partner, Tau Capital; CEO, Talon Metals Corp.
- Manages day-to-day operations and new project evaluation and investment process
- Founded the largest silica mine in South Africa, which was sold to a South African mining group
- Created one of South Africa’s largest offshore diamond exploration projects, which was sold to a private Swiss group
- Chartered Accountant
Partner, Tau Capital; President, Talon Metals Corp.; Principal, Kimpton Kawana Bay
- Manages project-related negotiations and M&A activity, as well as legal and compliance matters
- Previously a lawyer with Lax O’Sullivan Scott LLP, a commercial litigation firm based in Toronto, Canada
VP Legal Affairs, Tau Capital; Managing Director, Kimpton Kawana Bay
- Commercial lawyer with over 10 years’ experience
- Oversees all legal, compliance and regulatory matters
- Previously a senior associate with Blake, Cassels and Graydon LLP in London, UK and Calgary, Canada
VP Financial Evaluation, Tau Capital; CFO, Talon Metals Corp.; CFO, Kimpton Kawana Bay
- Chartered Accountant, Chartered Financial Analyst and Chartered Business Valuator with over 12 years’ experience
- Works with internal and external geological, mining, metallurgical and infrastructure experts to formulate in-house financial models
- Previously a Senior Manager with Deloitte & Touche LLP, practicing in the Financial Advisory Group and advising numerous mining companies and investors in the areas of valuations, M & A, and due diligence investigations
Dr. Ettienne Dinel
Senior Geologist, Tau Capital; VP Geology, Talon Metals Corp.
- Structural Geologist with over 15 years’ experience
- Evaluates prospective projects from a geological, technical and scientific perspective, and utilizes a vast network of academic collaborators to provide insight into whether a project has technical merit
- Previously spent 3 years in academia as a Term Lecturer in Structural Geology and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Tectonic of Archean Terrane at the University of Toronto (Canada)
- Ph.D. in Economic Geology
VP Exploration, Tau Capital; VP Exploration, Talon Metals Corp.
- Exploration Geologist with over 25 years’ experience
- Manages the identification, selection, review and assessment of all new projects
- Previously spent 10 years as a geological consultant with Geo-Consult International (Pty) Ltd
- Previously spent 10 years as an exploration geologist for JCI Limited